Thursday, November 21, 2024

Reflection on flow chart

The model of flow helped me understand the relationship between challenge, ability in order to achieve the experience of optimal performance. What I found interesting is the balance—neither too overwhelming nor too underwhelming. In the flow state, the full involvement, as seen in the zone marked "Flow" in the top right section of the chart, as I learned before in my psychology class in undergrad, is linked to a sense of happiness, focus, and confidence.

Reflecting on my personal experiences, I often find myself in a flow state during activities like spin class or pilates, especially when the music is loud, and the instructor is present guiding me through the motions. These exercises demand both physical and mental presence, allowing me to connect deeply with my body, pushing myself to focus entirely on the movements. For me, the mind-body connection is the key that unlocks flow. 

Also, I’ve noticed that what I do before entering these activities plays a crucial role. I make it a point to praise myself for showing up, acknowledge my effort before I begin, which sets a positive tone that prepares me mentally for the experience. Afterward, I take a moment to thank myself for completing the task, reinforcing the accomplishment. This same mindset can be applied in a math classroom, where many students might struggle. As a teacher, it’s important to mentally prime students, encouraging them to approach challenges with a positive and open attitude. Another critical aspect of achieving flow in teaching is recalibrating lesson plans in real-time based on student reactions and understanding, as suggested by my practicum school teacher. Observing students’ engagement, adjusting the pace or content when necessary, and ensuring the challenge level is balanced with their abilities can help foster a flow state in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Nice comparison to physical activity like pilates and spin class!

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection Post

  This semester went by very quickly, and I truly enjoyed the time we spent together. I learned the importance of exploring learning opportu...