To solve the problem of estimating the size of the giant soup can, I first researched similar large-scale soup can artworks around the world to understand the typical dimensions. By reviewing several examples, I discovered that these paintings tend to range in size from 10 to 30 feet in height, with 20 feet being the most common preference. Then, I started to estimating the size of the bike in the foreground as a reference point. By visually comparing the bike to the can, I could make a rough estimate of the can's scale, hypothesizing that it might be around 20 feet in height based on the proportion.
As a "student bird," I’m goal-oriented and eager to gather all available resources to solve problems efficiently. This is why I searched for examples of similar artworks. I also enjoy challenging myself to think critically, as I feel this is an area I can improve on. However, in reflecting on my "teacher bird" perspective, I recognize that my students would benefit more from engaging directly with the site itself. Conducting a hands-on investigation would offer a more authentic learning experience, allowing them to apply their skills in a real-world context and develop a deeper understanding of the problem-solving process.
A puzzle I always want my student to do is the Russian Block puzzle, where I would ask my students to come up as many as different ways to complete it.
Caris, this is not adequate, since you have not actually worked to solve the Soup Can questions! And for your extension, you haven't described the Russian Block puzzle. The comparison with painted soup cans (Andy Warhol perhaps?) is interesting, but you haven't taken this far enough to get the proportions from it.
ReplyDeletePlease add an **EDIT to complete this post. It is presently a 0.5 -- if you actually do the puzzle, you can raise this to the 2 you need!