Monday, November 4, 2024

Pro-D day reflection

 Last week’s Pro D event was an incredible experience! I attended the Culturally Responsive Pedagogy Symposium at the SCARF building, where I listened to insightful talks and discussions on various topics that are currently shaping education. 

In this post, I wanted to share a particularly impactful talk by Dr. Pamela Malins--"Facilitating Difficult and Sensitive Conversations." This session was especially thought-provoking and resonated with me on a personal level. Dr. Malins discussed strategies for leading challenging conversations in the classroom. As new teachers, we are increasingly encountering students from diverse backgrounds, which can present communication challenges due to language barriers and cultural differences. 

Dr. Malins introduced several practical techniques, including setting clear ground rules before initiating discussions, using evidence-based arguments, and ensuring that both teachers and students participate in an inclusive and respectful manner. By establishing these ground rules early, teachers can facilitate discussions that encourage thoughtful engagement. Additionally, she highlighted the benefits of using small group discussions and allowing time for reflection to help students feel more comfortable participating. 

Another key point she made was the importance of active listening. When facilitated effectively, active listening demonstrates empathy and fosters an inclusive, productive dialogue.

They are useful strategies that will go a long way in my teaching career, and I will remember them to apply them daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Reflection Post

  This semester went by very quickly, and I truly enjoyed the time we spent together. I learned the importance of exploring learning opportu...