Saturday, September 14, 2024

My favourite and least favourite math teacher

My favourite math teacher is Khan academy.  Khan academy is a nonprofit learning website. It has helped a lot of students worldwide. I found the videos useful and thorough with explanations. Two most important appeals about it is it’s free and easily accessible. I got me with my Calculus courses, especially when I was in dire need of help with a certain concept. Plus, no payment was needed.It alleviates a lot of financial pressure on students. Other than these features, I think the AP Calculus lecturer has a bed-side manner that calmed me down. I was able to follow his explanations very closely once I stopped being so tense about the difficulty of the materials. My most important takeaway from Khan academy is that learning could be as convenient as you want it to be, and I don’t have to psych myself up every time to do the practice questions. 


My least favourite is my kindergarten teacher. I believe my first math class with her is when my math phobia started. She didn’t ease me into the subject, which I think was a big mistake when teaching early math learners, one that I will try to avoid in my teaching career. Building relational understanding is an essential part in learning. I wish she had at least tried to use tools or interesting stories about basic operations before throwing questions at me. Additionally, my teacher cut my play time short to make me do additional algebra. I understand it was her job to do so, however I believe having empathy towards students is an important qualification of a good teacher. I learned from my experience with her that every student who comes to my class will have their own challenges, and being patient with their struggles is just as crucial. 


1 comment:

  1. Caris, you did a great job reflecting on both your favorite and least favorite math teachers. I appreciate how you highlighted specific qualities of Khan Academy, such as its accessibility and the calming influence of the instructor, which helped you overcome challenges with Calculus. Your insights into your kindergarten experience also show a thoughtful understanding of how teaching strategies impact early learners. The emphasis on empathy and patience is particularly insightful, showing your awareness of what makes an effective teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection Post

  This semester went by very quickly, and I truly enjoyed the time we spent together. I learned the importance of exploring learning opportu...